The HIPAA Privacy Course will help you in gaining a better perspective on requirements as stipulated in the HIPAA law on the privacy rule and basic aspects of the HIPAA security rule and provide necessary guidance on how to be HIPAA compliant. This training is updated in accordance to the HIPAA regulation which is a part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA). The training should equip you for the HIPAA certification test for the Certified HIPAA Privacy Expert (CHPE).
- Human Resource Managers to Healthcare Facilities
- Business Associates and HIPAA Privacy Compliance Officers of covered Entities
- Business Associates and Privacy Compliance Team members of covered Entities
- Head Nurses
- Clinic Office managers
- Executives to Pharmaceutical companies
- Healthcare Legal representatives
We encourage you to call us to discuss your job role so we can recommend the appropriate HIPAA course to meet your learning objectives.
Total Course Duration: 13 hours
Number of Total Slides: 411 slides
Total Chapters: 12
Free Online HIPAA Training Demo
Cost of online training and CHPE certification test: $549 ($750 with the manual)
Free Online HIPAA Training Demo
CHPE Certification Test Only: $150 per attempt
CHPE Certification Test:
The test is done only once upon the completion of the course. You have to reach the 70% pass mark from the 36 questions tests for you to receive the HIPAA certification for Certified HIPAA Privacy Expert.
The test takes one hour only and should you pass your test you can print the certification immediately but in case you fail you will have to pay $150 for a retake.
CHPE Course Learning Objectives:
Chapter 1 - HIPAA Basics
- Understand the purpose for HIPAA legislation
- Review the HIPAA Administrative Simplification title
- Review non-compliance penalties (civil and criminal)
- Review key organizations associated with administering HIPAA Administrative Simplification provisions
- Review HIPAA-related terminology and definitions
Chapter 2 - Transactions & Code Sets Overview
- Understand motivation and drivers behind requiring HIPAA standard transactions and code sets
Chapter 3 - Transactions – ANSI X12 and NCPDP
- Examine the ANSI ASC X12 & NCPDP transactions
Chapter 4 - Code Sets & National Identifiers
- Understand the code sets approved for use with HIPAA-covered transactions
- Understand national identifiers that have been adopted or may be adopted to identify entities or individuals in HIPAA-covered transactions
Chapter 5 - HIPAA and Health Data – Security & Privacy Requirements
- Describe how HIPAA relates to health information exchange
- Identify the steps for compliance with the HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Identify the steps for compliance with the HIPAA Security Rule
- Review compliance framework
Chapter 6 - HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Understand the core requirements, key terms, and concepts of the Privacy Rule
Chapter 7 - Privacy Rule – Organizational & Individual Relationships, Rights & Responsibilities
- Understand Organizational Relationships
- Explain Individual Privacy Rights
Chapter 8 - Privacy Rule – Notice of Privacy Practices
- Understand HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices (Notice) and Authorization requirements and how to draft and distribute paper and electronic Notices of Privacy Practices and appropriately use an Authorization
Chapter 9 - Privacy Rule – Uses and disclosures of PHI
- Understand the general rules regarding use and disclosure of PHI
- Understand the rules regarding disclosure for treatment, payment and health care operations
- Understand the rules regarding disclosure for public purposes
Chapter 10 - Privacy Rule – Safeguards
- Understand the necessary safeguards to comply with the HIPAA Privacy Rule security requirements and appropriate privacy practices
Chapter 11 - HIPAA Security Rule - Overview
- Describe the scope of the HIPAA Security Rule
- Understand threats and attacks that make health care enterprises are vulnerable to
- Define key security terminology, concepts and categories
- Describe administrative safeguards implementation specifications
- Describe physical safeguards implementation specifications
- Explain technical safeguards implementation specifications
- Describe organizational requirements
- Describe the policies and procedures standards, as well as the documentation standards
Chapter 12 - American Recovery & Reinvestment Act
- American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA), Title XIII, Subpart D Overview (HITECH)
- Business Associates New Requirements
- Breach Notification Requirements
- New Privacy & Security Requirements
- Increased Enforcement & Penalties
- Federal Reporting & Resource Requirements
- Compliance Tips
Total Number of Slides - 411
Length of course: 13 Hours
The above training will prepare you for HIPAA Certification for Certified HIPAA Privacy Expert:
HIPAA Privacy Training Testimonials
The healthcare vertical continues to march towards an ever increasing digital delivery model. Along with this change arrives enhanced risk involving patient health information. It is the obligation of all stakeholders involved in the delivery of care and especially providers to maintain a high level of subject matter expertise concerning HIPAA and HITECH related compliance policies and procedures. The training I received from HIPAATRAINING.NET was up to date and relevant resulting in my ability to pass the CHPE exam. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in gaining a more formal command of the relevant HIPAA Privacy related requirements.
S. Vincent Grasso, D.O.
Informaticist / Business Analyst / Surgeon
Chatham, New Jersey
The online course and the manual are excellent materials to update prior HIPAA training and are also an excellent resource for novices in HIPAA compliance. The concise summary of the HIPAA provisions in the ARRA rules really focused its impact on existing HIPAA regulations.
Jean Beard, CCP
Compliance Audit Manager
- "The hipaatraining.net CHPE course gave me an excellent opportunity to develop my understanding of the past, present and future compliance issues associated with HIPAA. Each of the instructor's presentations focused on the specific issues faced by covered entities, and the test questions allowed me to view the various regulations from the perspective of a DHHS investigator. I look forward to using the information I learned in developing my law practice and resolving the specific HIPAA-related issues of my healthcare clients."
- HIPAA Training course has enhanced my knowledge of HIPAA Privacy and Security Rule as it applies to, administrative, physical, and technical components in a work setting and actual application to work. This course is beneficially comprehensive; it covered Privacy and Security Rule, Code Sets, Use & Disclosure , Organizational and Individual, Relationships, Rights and responsibilities, and other HIPAA topics.
While taking this course I was factoring in and taking notes in the areas where our agencies needs improvement or areas that are neglected.
In addition, to being comprehensive this course also provides guidance in planning and implementation, such as compliance frame work, conducting a risk analysis, to creating or enhancing exiting policies and procedures. It seems most course merely throw you information and don’t provide you guidance or implementations. I was ecstatic on the section on policies and procedures as this is one of my duties. I plan to use this knowledge as a HIPAA Compliance Office and as the designated policy coordinator.
The information is current and provides “addendum” and links to those “moving targets” or ever changing information. It should be mentioned not only are the links current they work and are in not “sorry page not available” mode. I appreciated the graphics to further explain certain topics. The graphics help as some people are visual learners. The HIPAA “helpdesk” was always available and immediately responded to my email questions.
It is obvious this training was created by people from numerous disciplines; administrators, policy makers, judicial, behavioral health providers, doctors, etc……..
I highly recommend this HIPAA Training course it’s valuably comprehensive and critically applicable.
Division of Mental Health Developmental Services (MHDS)
Joann Flanagan, M.Ed., LADC, NCACII
Quality Assurance Specialist III
State of Nevada
- Anyone seeking a more comprehensive understanding of the HIPAA and HiTech rules and regulations should consider taking the Certified HIPAA Privacy Expert course through the Supremus Group. After taking this course I have a better understanding of the administrative, physical and technical aspects of the HIPAA regulations enabling me to stay HIPAA compliant on the job.
The Denver Hospice
- I found the course to be extremely informative. I had basic HIPAA knowledge prior to this training. I now feel comfortable in my title as Privacy Office. The course material and handout information are excellent references. The instructor was very insightful and kept my interest throughout the program. This program was money well spent.
Phyllis Jacobs, RHIT
Yoakum Community Hospital
Director of Health Information Management
- The course training was a very detailed,
thought-provoking explanation of the HIPAA privacy
requirements. The instructor was very knowledgeable of
all aspects of the HIPPA privacy and security rules. The
course has prepared me to address office, departmental
and individual privacy issues.
Missouri Consolidated Health Care Plan
- The instructor was as expert on the subject matter.
He presented the material in a very interesting and
understandable way. His presentation was extremely
effective. The use of real life examples helped me to
understand how the material would apply to my particular
position at my company. The instructor had also taken
time to understand our company and how it worked and was
able to use examples specific to our particular jobs at
MCHCP. The instructor allowed us to ask questions and
still managed to stay on task and meet all deadlines.
This course has allowed me to gain knowledge regarding
HIPAA that I would not have gotten from other classes.
Missouri Consolidated Health Care plan
- The HIPAA course is an extremely useful course for
all in the healthcare industry. It provides an in depth
look at the rule itself as well as the laws and
regulations governing the rule. The instructor is
extremely knowledgeable and provides the information in
a methodical manner that is easy to follow. I have
recommended this course and will continue to recommend
this course to all my colleagues.
Thank you Bob for all of your support during this
Janice E. Durden, MBA, CCRA
Senior Vice President Clinical Operations
- The self-paced HIPAA certification and training is
an excellent program for anyone in the Health Care
profession. The instructor is very knowledgeable and
gives real life examples that are easy to comprehend. I
will highly recommend this course to colleagues who need
to strengthen their knowledge of HIPAA.
Renee Greene, CCRP
- The CHPE coursework is very intense. It covers all
of the required elements that are needed to get you
prepared for the final exam. I would highly suggest that
you take sufficient notes during the course if you don’t
purchase the book. I would highly recommend printing off
the addendums. I was extremely pleased with the way the
coursework was presented. If you are wanting to enhance
your knowledge base, this course will definitely do
Thanks so much!!
Stephanie M. Giberson, RHIT, CHPE
- The Comprehensive HIPAA Privacy and Intermediate
Security Training class was well structured and
thorough. The combination of the course book chapter
reviews, PowerPoint presentation slides and instructor
notes were extremely helpful and prepared me for the
Certified HIPAA Privacy Expert (CHPE) certification
exam. I’m confident I’ll excel in the Privacy related
responsibilities associated with my new role.
If you have any questions concerning the course or certification test, feel free to
contact us at
Bob@hipaatraining.net or call us at 515-865-4591.